Saturday, September 09, 2006

Back to school

Like other parents all over the world, I'm revelling in the fact that Kassie has returned to school. Summer is great—I'm sad to see it go (as I write leaves swirl and dance outside my window)—but a little routine is definitely in order.

A month or so ago I switched from working at home to working 9-5 at a client's office. It reminds me a bit of school: we sit at open workstations in a room resembling a large classroom, we work studiously but occasionally take time out to quip back and forth, and, get this, we sometimes even eat together in the cafeteria. Best of all, it's a casual atmosphere. We don't even have to put on the proverbial (and usually uncomfortable) power suit.

Kassie must wear a uniform. And she isn't paid for her labours with cold hard cash. But, other than that, I don't see much difference between how we spend our respective days.

5 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you working there on a self-employed basis or have you become one of the employed? What happens about holidays and such? Do you still have the same freedom as you had while you were working from home?

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Eva said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm working on a contract basis for a fixed period, so I don't get either vacation time or benefits.

I can't say I have quite the same freedom - to run to the post office midday, for instance, or to take in a mid-morning aerobics class - but I am finding the set hours liberating: in the past, working from home, I often let myself get distracted and ended up working in the evenings. That isn't a problem now! The day begins at 8:30 and ends at 5:00. Period/full-stop!

(Not to say I'm getting in any creative writing time these days. Sigh.)

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a brave woman to give up the freedom of working from home to go back to an office, Jeanne. I couldn't do it. Well, obviously, if I had to then I would but I'd hate every minute of it, I'm sure.

I do know what you mean by distractions and working into the evening, though. I allow myself to get far too distracted but then I'm happy to give up part of my evenings now that the kids are older because it means I can take a few days off now and then, go away somewhere either with Richard, one of the kids, or a friend, and just relax.

I suppose every form of work has its benefits and drawbacks - it's just a matter of finding what works best for you. If the office routine is working for you then that's great :)

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gosh, Sharon, you're starting to make me long for the good ol' days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home